On Monday, I picked up tags for the WRX. When I got in the car, it stalled out on me three times. Then I got a lean condition engine code (which I was able to read and clear using the ScanGauge II I picked up several years ago). No biggie.
Well, the P0171 kept coming back. Then I started having problems with it stalling on my at stoplights, and when putting the car in neutral.
And then I noticed that I couldn’t get the turbo to go into boost.
Looking around the various forums, it appeared that it could have been one of several things, ranging from a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor to a blown up turbo.
When I was younger, and poorer, something like this would mean a weekend of troubleshooting and part-swapping. Fortunately I’m past that stage and instead I took it to a dealer. Within an hour, they’d discovered…
Vacuum leaks that they fixed for $15. There was a diagnostic fee of $115 which in a situation like this ends up being a minimum charge.
Runs like a champ.